Monday, December 22, 2008

Hair today, gone to Maui

Okay so I am now riffing off of bad puns. But I've spent the last few days obsessing over my hair and when exactly I was going to just go ahead and shave it off. The answer it seems is tomorrow or "to Maui" in pun speak. I think I am at the point where the shedding may need to stop - I keep finding hair in my food (and everything else) and at least I know it is mine. So the current plan is for me to go to the salon around the corner and have them do it. I have clippers but think not having to clean up my hair may be less traumatic. I will be bringing a wig and hat with me and then may be camped out at home adjusting to my new reality.

A bald Xmas has suddenly become much more festive as my friend Carol has sent me a box filled with 8 Chanukah presents. Note that while this was how we taunted the non-jews to try and make ourselves feel better about having what is, let's face it, a Holiday mainly based on envy - I'm not sure we ever got a full 8 days of presents. Sorry mom and dad if I am just remembering wrong and the presents didn't peter out.

I got the box today, day 2 - so got to open 2 gifts. The first a Xmas tree (sorry Chanukah Bush) made out of multicolored tinsel and that comes with 8 disco mirror balls, one to add everyday. Its probably safer than lighting candles. How can I boycott the holidays when suddenly I need to blast disco music and dance around?

Gift 2 is a limited distribution copy of her book that is coming out next month entitled: Here Today, Gone to Maui - which was in turn taken from a shirt my parents brought back for me 20 some years ago, while we were roommates in college. I'm not sure I ever wore the shirt in public but it was the basis of many a conversation that ended with lots of giggles and fun - much more valuable than most of my other clothes of the period. (Though come to think of it - any of the 80's fashions might be the cause of some humor - hot pink denim with matching shoes was quite the look.)

This also raises the possibility that maybe Maui is the place for a post chemo/surgery/radiation trip - once I have my hair back

In any case - reading the book and opening the presents will put a different spin on the whole Chemo Christmas and for that I thank you and again reminds me that I have much to be thankful for, not the least of which is people to pun with.

4 comments:

  1. A post-chemo Maui trip? Count me in!
    Can't believe I didn't think to give you a disco CD. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I can also be counted in for any trip to Maui! I will just need to get more of those special gloves for the horseback riding...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Napili Point is my preferred locale in Maui - I have the trip down to a science (starting from the post flight Costco run) to the best maui tacos and snorkeling.

    Thanks goodness we can now post without being blog-hounds. Happy 3rd night of hanukkah - we are eating latkes and brisket in the hollywood hills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Hanukkah from SF. Very glad to hear the genetic results were negative. I'll rifle thru my stack of mysteries to see if any would appeal for your care package. Of course, I'll have to overcome my postal disability... (Peg)

    ReplyDelete