Saturday, December 20, 2008

Helping out

Tough times show you who your friends are and I’ve been totally overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support that I’ve received from everyone regarding my diagnosis. Thank you all so much for helping to keep my spirits and outlook up. I’m truly blessed to have so many caring people in my life and I will let you know when I need something.

However, many of you have been asking how you can help, so I’ve tried to put together a few thoughts on the topic. (This list also benefitted from a draft composed in part by some of my cancer elves - why should santa be the only one to benefit from the work of others?)

  • I don’t necessarily mind talking about my diagnosis or treatment, but to be honest, rehashing the details is getting a bit old. I’m somewhat bored with myself (who would have thought?) Instead, I’d love to be part of some fun conversations about the issues of the day. What’s the latest on the Blagojevich scandal? What do you think about Obama’s cabinet selections? Alas, Sarah Palin seems to have jumped the shark. I'm also happy to talk about bad TV - I seem to be watching a lot of the Bravo reality shows, some network TV and sadly I like the WB monday night line up. Don't judge - I have cancer.
  • The chemo treatments have compromised my immune system, so I need to keep away from germs as much as possible. Please try to keep your distance if you or a family member is sick or coming down with something. I realize that I’m irresistibly huggable, but please resist if you think there is any chance illness is lurking.
  • For now at least, I’m all set with things like food, medical-type supplies, rides to my appointments, etc. But if things change, BoSoxFox and others have promised to help reach out to you and help coordinate my support network. And believe me, I won’t be shy to ask for things when I need them.
  • I’m happy to have a food delivery system set up in the New Year – and I will have someone coordinate (Elaine, this means you) – but remember I’m a single person so a couple of servings of what you are making will go a long way. I’m thinking one donation a week could work. I also live pretty close to many restaurants so take-out and delivery has been working well for me. (Why should things be different just because I have cancer?)
  • Between chemo treatments and resting at home, I’ve got a lot of down time I need to fill. Book, movie or cd loans and recommendations would be most appreciated. As would magazine clippings, board games, and puzzles. But please, no cancer or illness related materials. I’ve already got enough on that front.
  • In these difficult times, I’m so lucky to have decent health insurance, ample financial resources, and friends like you to help me through my challenges. But others aren’t so lucky. I’d be honored if you’d consider making a donation of time or money to the charity of your choice to help others in need. (My favorites include Doctors Without Borders, Partners in Health, Miriam’s Kitchen, Washington Food Bank or other food banks, and NPR/WAMU, but of course there are many other worthy causes as well.)
  • Please also resist any urge to send me anything with pink ribbons or things too directly related to cancer or treatment. Though any gifts of ginger will be appreciated.

    As you probably know from my previous blog entries, I’ve been fatigued lately and need a lot more rest than usual. I expect that this will become worse as the treatments progress. So please don’t take it personally if I’m slow to return a phone call or an email, and have to turn down invitations to go out, etc. But know that I appreciate your concern and best wishes and am happy to receive invitations. For those local, I’ll also try and maintain somewhat regular Friday Happy Hours even if I will be drinking ginger ale. Typically at 21M but check with Dana or Susan for details.

    Thank you all again for your love and support.

1 comment: