Monday, March 16, 2009

Tongue-tied and slightly flushed

So far Fred still hasn't produced any obvious allergic reaction but he seems to have wreaked havoc with my mouth - my tongue feels fat and my mouth feels coated and funny. While annoying -it seems more like typical A-C caused side effects. Indeed after checking with both the medical experts in my office (a friend whose sister had gone through chemo and a breast feeding mother) who both thought it was a yeast infection in my mouth, a call into Dorothy (the nurse who handles my case) confirmed it was thrush - a less gross way of saying yeast infection in ones mouth. In theory, I have medicine to handle it, the magic mouthwash that BoSoxFox had picked up last time my mouth felt bad. However, in practice, I don't seem to be able to find said medicine in my bathroom closet and I'm not sure where else I would have stored a bottle of liquid goo. I have ordered a refill but it won't be ready until morning, at which point I'm guessing the current bottle of magic mouthwash will show up. Maybe that's why it's magic.

I guess when my mouth started bothering me I should have realized that would be the first step but the stuff tastes gross and leaves my mouth kind of numb. The thought of having a numb mouth while drooling seems horrible but if it cures it - it's worth it.

Otherwise - besides being a little flushed on Friday and Saturday, things seem okay. So besides my apparently being a little infatuated with Fred we are getting along fine. (Of course with yeast in my mouth - its not like I'm going to find a less toxic fella to hang out with.)

That's the current update - I will report back when my mouth is only dirty from what it says rather than what it grows.

4 comments:

  1. My friend Rosanne brought me the magic mouthwash so I got to begin last night and it seems to be working. My tongue is back to looking mostly pink.

    As for causality - I think I may have falsely accuese Fred - turns out antibiotics and steroics increase the likelihood of thrush - so I'm back to blaming Taxol for my woes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i prefer the potty-mouthed kimmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim, just wanted to say hi. Read the last few weeks of your posts.

    If you need anything give a shout.


    Aram

    ReplyDelete