Saturday, August 1, 2009

All aglow




Back from Caneel Bay. The trip was great and totally relaxing. I ended up snorkeling a lot, swimming some and basically hanging out on the beach. I read 2 books--both pretty trashy--and did manage to leave the grounds one night for dinner. In general things were good, I did have a Hitchcock moment the last day when a bird swooped down and stole a piece of bacon off my plate at breakfast, as I was carrying my plate. I swear he was then eyeing me for the rest of the meal, but maybe it was a sign I should cut out the processed meats. Later that morning we were in the water and probably 20 birds suddenly swarmed us - though in all likelihood they were more interested in the fish than me or Melissa. We were sad to leave and did manage to get splashed on the ferry ride back to St Thomas.
Thursday was a rude awakening from the trip, as I started radiation. So after swimming and laying on the beach for five days, I got to spend an hour trying to lie perfectly still on a table while people moved me around and drew on me with blue marker. I tried pretending I was still on the beach and that my lounge chair was maybe just not so comfortable.

Friday's zapping was much faster and less eventful. Indeed, I think it actually took them longer to blend my iced soy latte (at the Illy, not the hospital) than it took for me to get treatment while on the table.

I then went to work where it was the last day for my boss and another person I work with. I ended up cutting the teary goodbyes short because I called the American Cancer Society to see about getting fitted with something that could even me out. (Yes, the aftermath of looking at pictures made it quite clear how lopsided I currently am.) It turns out they do fittings on Friday until 2:30 and the office is 2 blocks from my house. I cut out of work at 1:30 and managed to get to ACS and they gave me a cotton puff that helps with symmetry and is pretty light.

I then headed home and actually took a nap. I'd blame the radiation, but I'm guessing it was much more likely due to general fatigue related to the trip, then headed out for dinner with some friends. I spent some time this afternoon with a friend who is having some gastro issues and needs to go into the hospital for antibiotics. If nothing else, this year has given me some expertise in hospital stays. I had all sorts of advice to give and opinions on what you should bring to the hospital and check in information. She's going to GW, so on the upside I can potentially stop in daily post-radiation.

Anyway, in happier news, my friend Lorien is getting married this weekend and my cousin Abby had her twins last weekend. Congratulations to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment