Friday, August 21, 2009

Turns out my arm and my laptop are still broken

The x-rays came back this morning and I have a non-displaced fracture ... in my wrist. I kind of had the feeling that if anything cracked it may have been the wrist - it hurt first and is still achey. The blood pooling in the elbow made that more acute after the fall, but it seems more or less fine now. There's nothing to be done, except I'm probably staying away from weight-lifting activities for a little longer. I figure when I see a physical therapist, I can now get exercises for both arms.

As for my laptop, it works - sort of. I can log on, not see the advanced virus removal pop-ups :)but while I can access my work e-mail or facebook nothing shows up. I know I have messages but can't read them. Fun city. What this means to anyone trying to get in touch - e-mail me at gmail, call on my home number or expect slower response times in the short term. So I now have a barely functional computer and cell-phone. We could argue my possessions feel sympathy for me but the truth is they are taking the brunt of my spaciness/flakiness potentially treatment related. (The phone hasn't really recovered from the chicken soup bath.) I might go out and buy an i-phone this weekend. (How heavy are they?)

Otherwise, I'm actually feeling pretty good; not getting enough sleep but I'm being more active and have been walking to work about half the time in the swampland. Next week, I might even start exercising at a gym. We'll see.


I've been somewhat preoccupied trying to figure out September/October travel plans. There's a trip to the Bay Area Labor Day weekend that I might get permission to stay a couple of more days. Right now my last treatment (without boosts) is that Tuesday, but my doctor seemed to think taking a break wouldn't be terrible. Then I'm going to a conference in Brussels, I'm thinking of tacking on some extra days and trying to figure out where to go. (If I meet up with folks its probably somewhere I haven't been, if not probably Paris or London.)

I think I need to limit it to one other place - see discussion of non-functional arms above. I also made a reservation for 2 at a somewhat fancy restaurant my friend recommended in Brussels for Sunday night - so if you have any recommendations of people I should accost I'd take that info too.

In October, I think I'm going to the beach with some college friends. I'm hoping its warm enough to at least wade in the North Carolina water but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment