Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Oops

So just when things seem to be getting into a reasonable pattern - radiation every morning but limited numbers of tests and I picked up the drugs for the stage 3 study which just requires me taking a pill every morning.

I fall...

On my way to visit my friend in the hospital.

I kind of stumbled and then fell down - skinned my knees, and fell on my right arm. People were very nice and rushed over, after sitting for a bit I had people help me up. (I had been using my right arm to help stand up.) After cleaning myself up I figured I may as well head over to visit my friend -as I wasn't getting work done. After sitting for an hour (with an ice pack that her nurses thoughtfully gave me) I realized I couldn't unbend my arm. 3 hours and x-rays later the doctor gave me a sling didn't think I broke or dislocated anything - and my elbow was bruised and had some blood gathering. His diagnosis was to take motrin or naproxin to get the swelling down and percocet or oxycodone for breakthrough pain and keep my arm in the sling for 5 days to take the pressure off. Is it a bad response when a doctor asks you what you like taking for pain and you say you have a drawer full of pills so he should just tell you what he wants you to take?

BoSoxFox was upstairs visiting our friend (who should get her own nickname) and graciously took me home, took out my trash and most importantly moved my car into a Monday or Tuesday spot so I don't need to worry about street cleaning. It all might be my need to stay the center of attention - how can someone else be sick? It also might be a test to see how much BSF can take before either having a nervous breakdown or deciding she really needs a new (and healthier) set of friends.

On the upside I fell on my good arm - lord knows what would be happening if I landed on the arm without lymph nodes. Of course it also means I landed on my good arm - so suddenly my delicate left arm is having to do things like carry my purse and open things. This morning, I went to radiation, then cabbed over to Georgetown to pick up the drugs for the trial (Bonniva pills to take daily) and was home by 11. I have since spent most of the day in bed napping and reading.

Then I got a call from GW- it seems like after having someone else look at the x-ray it might be a non-displaced radial fracture that didn't show up as a definite break at the point where my arm bone meets the elbow. It means checking in with orthopedics - though when I called they didn't seem to have any appointments until September unless it is an emergency. I'm waiting for a call back tomorrow. My arm is actually feeling better now and unbending some (and I seem able to type with it). The person who called basically thought I should use the sling they gave me - be seen sometime next week and probably see a physical therapist. So now I'm guessing I can have range of motion exercises for each arm. My (ex)boss had a physical therapist he really liked and given he is off to Syracuse she might have an opening in her schedule.

On the upside - I do realize the humor and ridiculousness of it all, and a week into radiation my treatment seems to be going well. Apparently my life can't get too calm - but I'm much happier dealing with a bruised good elbow than other complications. I'm also thinking that taking the Boniva (the bone density drug) probably will be a good thing for my bones, though I might start Friday instead of tomorrow. (I have to take the pill with a glass of water and not take anything else for a half hour - depending on how I'm feeling I think taking the motrin in the morning might trump starting the trial a day earlier. )

Kim

PS Not sure I'm sharing this with my mother so for those of you related to me - try not to mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment