Friday, January 15, 2010

Drain free and apparently ready to rock

Went to the plastic surgeon this morning and everything is continuing to look really good. They took out my 2 remaining drains and even snipped all my external non-dissolving stiches and basically sent me on my way until 5 or 6 weeks when they'll check on my progress. We'll schedule the final surgery for probably 5- or 6 weeks after that. (Things look so good that there seems like there will be minimal reshaping necessary, so he'll be building a nipple and possibly doing some lifting and - drum roll please - he'll take out my mediport.) The doc is ready for me to do most things I feel up to (with the exception of exercise). I can walk and do some stretching and range of motion arm excercises but any serious activity is still 5 or 6 weeks away.

Now a brief tribute to my mediport. While I was willing to let my lovely friend be taken out earlier, Dr. N would rather avoid another procedure and, given my low blood pressure and tempermental veins, I think they'd like to have the option to access it to get some fluid in me to begin the surgery. (Once fluid gets pumped in, they'll be able to access a vein and disconnect the mediport.) It has been my favorite thing and made this process doable - that is besides my great doctors and medical team and, of course, you guys. Having the port has made this process much easier, and I can't imagine how much tougher it all would have been if they would need to have found a vein for both blood work and chemo. Indeed in the middle of chemo it seemed like getting the little bit of blood needed for blood tests was almost impossible from my veins. For those who need treatment or might know folks who need treatment, I can't stress enough how useful it's been.

In some ways I can't believe its only been a week since surgery. I feel pretty good - although worse today due to the hospital visit. Apparently having things snipped and removed is hard work. We went for a walk earlier today and yesterday. Otherwise I seem to have spent much of the week flitting between the 3 books and 4 magazines and my computer that all seem to reside in the bed with me. BTW if anyone is going in for surgery I have to suggest getting an i-phone or blackberry--e-mailing was way easier on something that weighs so little and was easy to use while in the hospital and this week.

Otherwise, I'm mainly hanging out, listening to too much npr, and trying hard to limit how many times I donate to Partners in Health or Doctors Without Borders. I've been told the narcotics make folks free and easy with the credit cards and donating to the folks in Haiti is about as good a way to spend money as I can think of.

I can't help feeling blessed and thankful for my doctors and what I have and feel so bad that folks and a country that has been struggling for so long has to deal with this on top of everything else.

My other big news is I will start wearing pants again- the drains are out so I really don't have an excuse - and quite frankly I'm way more likely to start showing up in belly shirts - also age-inappropriate but my tummy is quite the work of art.


Special thanks to Ellen for being a great caretaker this week even if I didn't need that much tending. It was great to hang out and it seems like at least a few closets or rooms will be more orderly for the visit.

Have a good weekend, be thankful for what you have and say a prayer for those facing such hardship.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment