Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

So maybe I was premature in announcing Taxol as being no big deal. I started Friday feeling pretty good and was doing pretty well. By Friday afternoon/evening some of my fingers on my right hand seemed achy and hurt some and my elbows hurt and felt tender. The sensation wasn't terrible but felt like I needed to moisturize. I figured it was some neuropathy and I'd have to pay attention but there was not much to do. Apparently I didn't notice that things were swollen.

I went to G-town the next morning to get a shot to boost my blood counts - usually a 20 minute visit where I am in and out. Well, while waiting for the Neulestra shot we talked about my hands and she mentioned I should wear gloves as the cold could make it worse. I mentioned that the cold seemed to help with my right ring finger which was most affected. She asked me about buttoning things and ability to do things - so I put my sweater on and buttoned it. When I went to take it off I had a lovely rash on my arm. I got the neulestra shot and she paged the oncologist on call. So much for only having allergic reactions at the time of treatment.

I think the swelling and rash are an allergic reaction. Maybe this means I won't have nerve damage but the doctor prescribed a benadryl and then when we noticed my face was getting a little blotchy and she put me back on steroids. They also took more blood to run some tests and I left to pick up prescriptions about 12:15.

On the positive side, if my body needs to react funkily it was fortunate to have it happen when I was at the hospital rather than home and trying to figure out how serious it was and whether a trip to the hospital was warranted. Though driving while drugged was a little interesting - I do have a new favorite CVS - the one on Wisconsin and O that has the advantage of parking and the pharmacists seem very nice (as does the parking attendants).

Things seemed to calm down after the neds and while the rash hasn't gone away it hasn't gotten worse and doesn't itch. I went home and slept - having my upstairs neighbors check in when their kids woke up from their nap. They also offered to hook me up to t eir baby monitor. Apparently, I fluctuate between being a toddler and feeling like I'm 80 and obsessing over my bodily functions. Of course maybe it is all the same thing.

I ended up resting then going to my boss' house for dinner - Thanks Len - it was delicious even if I was spacy. The upside of chemo is that basically any actions I take - even if it is getting less blotchy or swollen is taken as a big accomplishment. It might be a little sad next year when people expect more of me than the equivalent of walking and chewing gum (a skill I might not currently have) but I look forward to it.

Anyway - dinner was fun and the night was uneventful. I invited BoSoxFox to spend the night and she got to babysit me for the night - except for my waking up every hour or so from the steroid and waving my hands around to get the fluid moving - not much went on. (You should be humming - put your hands in the air like you don't care - from Word Up by Cameo to get the full experience. ) Its 3 am time to sit up and start shaking my extremeties.

If today's current plan of a 4 o'clock movie (Milk) and dinner afterward comes off I will count it as a good birthday.

My plan is to celebrate on August 8 on my half birthday - when cocktails of a different nature can be featured.

Anyway - I am doing pretty well - in a post benadryl-steroid induced mood - mellow but somewhat alert.

I'm guessing there will be some change to treatment next time - either more drugs beforehand, a switch to weekly taxol or a swapping of taxotere (a related drug) for taxol.

Yesterday was more eventful than expected but any day that ends with brownies that were as good as the one's Len made can't be all bad.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to both the full and half birthday celebrations!!! I can also attest to the excellence of Len's brownies. Go Len!

    Bruce's "Raise Your Hand" may be another fine song to accompany the finger exercises.

    M at 2100 M

    ReplyDelete