Friday, February 27, 2009

So much for my birth month

It might be too soon but I need February to end. So much for my birth month being filled with presents and friends and delight. February has officially kicked my butt.

After thinking that maybe I was in for some smooth sailing - got over the steroid withdrawal, had a reasonable day yesterday - managed to not have to give blood twice in one week last week - I didn't feel great today. At about 11 I took my temperature which was 101.2. So apparently my fever is back. On the positive side - I don't feel terrible and having the fever happen during the day on Friday meant that I got to talk to my doctor and not some random oncology intern. It also meant she ordered more blood work (yes, yesterdays stick was too easy) and gave me a cipro prescription. I spent this afternoon having more blood work done - 4 vials from 2 different needle sticks. They did the same type of blood cultures 2 weeks ago in the ER on Valentine's day. The person taking my blood asked about any exotic trips I've taken or exposure to deer. Don't we think any malaria or Lyme disease would have shown up 2 weeks ago? Mainly my doctor wants to make sure they know what they are dealing with if anything comes up before my starting the cipro.

I am happy to have the blood work done even if a little skeptical that anything is going to show. If I have some bug hopefully the antibiotic will kill it once and for all and I can go forward. I don't know if it makes sense but I still think the fever is related to the taxol allergy. I feel not terrible besides the occasional fever.

Anyway - I'm hoping that March will be a better month-I also apologize to people for being pretty non-communicative I've been feeling beat up and mostly just burrowing in. Also talking on the phone will trigger the cough and I haven't had the energy.


As for February, next year better be filled with champagne, chocolates and possibly exciting trips to make up for this, otherwise I might have to officially change my birthday.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to February 2010's assortment of champagne and chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! It is March! Hopefully March madness will stay where it belongs, on the basketball court, and out of your home.

    -m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kimmy -

    Things will be fine in (March) 2009...How's that? I have been thinking of you and will call soon - most likely from an airport since that is where i have been spending too much time.

    xoxo

    mm
    p.s. need any new books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. February stinks. Every year. I'm glad it has the fewest days. Glad it's over now. Good luck with the next treatment.

    ReplyDelete