Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Countdown to surgery

Hi, sorry I've been bad about blogging but it is because I've been out doing things and enjoying feeling pretty healthy. :) This past weekend I went to Charlottesville to visit Monticello with my friend Sue and her mom and, as an added bonus I got to see my sister and her family because it was my brother-in-law's 25th reunion from Law School. It was also his 50th birthday and I think we all had a good time. Monticello was nice and it felt good to be walking around - though I did get tired at points. The visit with family was fun and the drive down was super fun once I got on highway 29. Until that point I was in way too much traffic. All-in-all it was a fun successful weekend and I was glad to get away. I did have a slight fender-bender - pouring rain, plus stop and go traffic, but everyone is okay with only minimal bumper damage. (DO NOT SHARE this with MY MOTHER - she has enough on her mind with my surgery and my grandmother being back in the hospital.)

The trip was mostly fun - though Jefferson can make one feel inadequate with one's accomplishments. Of course having money and forced labor helped.

This week I have been at work but not making a tremendous amount of progress - I have just been inflicting my somewhat cranky self on those around me. Apparently I get cranky when nervous, though most of you probably realized that long ago. I also have gotten a number of presents - a care package from Joan, Semida and the folks at the Lincoln Institute, a doll from Taleen's mom and aunt and a book (with humorous stories about breasts) from Carol and her Australian editors. I also got a cd from Rafael with super-duper disco songs. The presents are great as are the messages and good wishes. Note this is not a demand for more loot. (Though I've never said no to chocolate and flowers.) I'm happy with the ton of things I've gotten over the duration (the upside of cancer is you get stuff) and would just love some good juju and wishes on Friday.

My friend Elizabeth is coming tomorrow to hang out during surgery and is going to take care of me afterward through the weekend. Happy mother's day to her. She has surgery bonafides having gone through her mom's two surgeries and her cousin's operation. Her aunt and cousin are hopefully going to come meet her for lunch on Friday. Then my friend Karen is scheduled for a visit Wednesday through Sunday of the following week and I just found out Julie is coming back to Maryland so will come by for a return visit on Tuesday. Julie had a work trip and came to visit the week after first chemo and also dropped off the lovely caps I've been wearing for the last 6 months. Hopefully she doesn't want them back quite yet as I don't think my see through fuzz makes for much head cover.

Its scary how all the people listed in the paragraph above have been touched by breast cancer. Jane (Elizabeth's aunt), Karen, and Julie are all survivors, as is Elizabeth's mom. Wendy was BRCA positive - Elizabeth is happily negative despite it being in her family but I'm not sure I have yet to come across someone without a family member or close friend who has gone through this.

Anyway - I am trying to stay calm and will be happy when it is over. BoSoxFox will post Friday once I'm out of surgery. Keep your fingers crossed and have a good rest of the week.

xxoo

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment