Saturday, May 9, 2009

One-handed typing

Hi, I am out of the hospital and home and seeing how well I can function with one arm. I meant to blog earlier but have had some phone calls and visitors. I am doing okay now and am going to have chicken soup for dinner and then watch grace kelly or audrey hepburn movies. I'm not in much pain and doing pretty well - it only hurts when i move my arm too much, but I have a supply of percocet to deal with that.

Yesterday was a long day and finding out my sentinel lymph nodes were cancerous was a bummer, and I'm not sure what it means for treatment. In the short run, it means I have a drain which is a rubber grenade shaped ball (which does not contain munitions) attached to a tube in my arm from where they excised my lymph nodes that needs periodic emptying. I'm guessing it also means I will be mostly spending time at home.

The pre surgery stuff was okay, though weird to become radioactive and then have a wire sticking out of me. They also injected me with blue dye - which made for a colorful bathroom experience and I might have discovered how they make tidybowl bathroom cleaner.

I had an iv put into my right wrist rather than hand which was somewhat painful and was way too incapacitating. Nothing like waking up in recovery to have one hand not functional because of the iv and the other arm really sore.

I will write more later, but now I'm going to snack on pate and bread while the soup boils. Bottom line is I'm okay and need more information about what things mean and will try and focus on recuperating. I'm pretty up and thus far had Melissa and Elizabeth visit in the hospital and Sue, Rich and Jon stop by at home. I'm feeling pretty okay given the lack of sleep the last few nights.

Bye for now - snacking calls.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment