Thursday, June 25, 2009

Family time

Sorry for the delay in posting. I had been in NY visiting with my parents, sister and her family this weekend and my brother and his family have been in DC this week. Running around with kids has been fun - and uniformly the 6 and under set have been fascinated by my very short hair and wig wearing. One of my nephews is a little offended by my wearing of the wig - he thinks I'm lying to folks but it might be all a ruse so he can get his hands on it.

Last week before leaving for New York I did spend a lovely 5 hours at Georgetown for pre-surgery testing and an appointment with a radiation oncologist. Meeting with the second radiation oncologist was reassuring - according to her I'm not in a grey zone. Given the lymphovascular involvement and size of my tumor I should definitely have radiation - which means after having the mastectomy and placing of an expander on Monday the next step will definitely be radiation starting probably about a month later. While I definitely like the people at G-town I will probably have radiation at GW due to the convenience of location and the daily dosing.

While I'm sad that this process will probably go on beyond the 1 year mark I will be excited to at least have the treatment part done by that point. Reconstruction will need to be done probably a couple of months post radiation and how involved it will be will depend on what reconstruction I choose.


Anyway - next step is surgery on Monday with a stay probably overnight. I will try and post early next week . Anyway I hope your summer is more fun than mine. I did go in the pool with my nephews on Tuesday which may likely be my only pool time this summer.

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment