Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Female doctors rock!!!

I've been meaning to blog and report in after meeting with the new plastic surgeon on Monday. She seems awesome. She seems super competent and the meeting went well after a bit of a rocky start. Tracy came with me and while I did almost lose it when the front office staff wanted me to re-fill out the 3 pages of forms it got better from there. When I explained that I had been there Friday and was seeing Dr. J because the other surgeon's schedule was too full they said they would go retrieve my record. I'm guessing the fact that Michele had called basically all of the assistants and schedulers of the random plastic surgeons Friday afternoon probably tipped them off. Again the doctor and the nurse I met with were terrific. I also got to pose in the studio for some more topless/headless pictures. On Friday the doctor just took the pictures, Monday they took me into a lit studio where apparently the person in the office who takes photos works.
She also took the whole process VERY seriously, and clearly doesn't like the idea that the other plastic surgeon just snaps away in the examining room.

MaryAnn is going to come on Monday, apparently I get 2 drains for this surgery - though one is little and is supposed to come out on Thursday. I will stay overnight and then probably go home but the doctor seemed to think I would be okay on my own for the following weekend.

I also spoke to my oncologist, who was also super supportive and who I am seeing post-mastectomy. She also really likes the G-town radiation oncologist who I am currently scheduled to see on Thursday - though it might make sense to postpone that appointment until after surgery when they can get more biopsy results. She (the oncologist) thought I was on the margin between getting radiation and not and thought it wasn't a terrible idea. (There is some evidence of radiation decreasing the probability of recurrence even with mastectomy for tumors of the size mine was.) She did repeat that I do not need more chemo - and I am happy to keep any forward progress I can.

Basically I am in a way better space now mentally - part of this process that is kind of amazing is how long ago things can feel. It feels like way longer than Friday when I met with the doctors.

This weekend I am going to NY to see my parents and sister and family and then my brother and his family come to DC on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment