Saturday, June 13, 2009

Things do look better in the morning

I never did buy the ice-cream yesterday. But after watching a good trippy movie (Across the Universe - Julie Taymour directed, beatles music inspired trip through the 60s), and sleeping and getting out today things seem okay. I went for a walk on the C&O canal, went to a farmer's market and having lunch with my friend Sue I am feeling better. I seem to generally basically only wallow for a day or night and then seem okay with the new information.

Today seems like an okay day as long as the 30 or so people congregating in my neighbor's apartment for the gay pride parade don't drive me too crazy. Sue dropped me off at 3 and besides for the 20something blonde guy smoking and reeking of alcohol by 3 - it was okay that he kept waving but when he wanted a hug I had to draw the line. I would have thought my age, gender and saying I had surgery on my left side so didn't want contact would have done it. He seemed to want details and I said I had surgery on my arm but didn't really want to ruin his mood or discuss my breast cancer with him. I'm trying to remember if I've ever been that drunk at 3pm even when I was 20-something. Maybe when I lived in London during college but I don't even think then .

In the end I'm guessing it's going to come down to how good the concrete walls really are - of course I never heard the twins from upstairs so I'm hopeful I won't be too disturbed. It might be sad that I have gotten old and crotchety.

I will probably see another radiation oncologist to get a sense or consensus on the need for radiation - though I'm guessing I am at a point where going for more agressive treatment seems prudent. I will also figure out what I think of the new plastic surgeon after monday's appointment and figure out how long recovery usually is. I think my friend Mary Ann is going to come stay :).

I'm going to try to stay more active - and just take this one day at a time. (How many cliche's can I put in one sentence.) This also probably means a trip to Westchester to see my folks if I don't have them come post-surgery. I love them but not sure my apartment works for three people - I could maybe have my mom sleep on the futon but I don't think they wouldn't kill each other if they were both on the futon and after my surgery I'm not going to want to be on the futon.

Ir will work out in the end. I might go buy frozen yogurt now.

Happy pride for those celebrating - I will try not to be too cranky, even if the carousing does keep me up :).

No comments:

Post a Comment