Friday, January 2, 2009

Hungover without the fun

Happy new year. I actually had a pretty good first few days after chemo this time. After spending the weekend laying around I went into work and felt pretty good Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I think it was the steroids - but I was functioning early and even making some progress with work and went out Tuesday night to celebrate a friend's birthday. The problem came Thursday and might have been not taking the atavan to counteract the steroid Monday and Tuesday. Somehow after getting home Tuesday night I decided I should finish lint brushing my head. Yes, using lint rollers on ones bald head helps keep the stubble from going everywhere and being all prickly. I used the rest of the sheets on the roller, still had some stubble left and it was suddenly 2 in the morning. I ended up hyped up and awake most of the night. I actually felt fine, if a little tired on Wednesday, went into work and had a happy new year's eve eating indian food and watching Frost/Nixon with BoSoxFox.

I was home by 10:30 with 70's polyester fabulousness dancing in my head, went to bed and woke up at 6am feeling like I had slept really deeply. I knew I needed more sleep but my body didn't comply. It was interesting to wake up having not had anything to drink yet still feel dehydrated with a slight headache. I wish chemo was more fun.

I did manage to organize some of my closet and drawers, do 4 loads of laundry, including dehairing most of my sweaters but was kind of blah most of the day. Went to my friend Sue's but didn't stay long and in the end came home and mostly crashed. I did get to play with the babies from upstairs who were also feeling cranky due to teething. Can chemo turn one into an infant? I ended up reading a lot and crashing.

Friday I am still lackluster, but just had my blood work done so will see if the blahness is a function of low blood levels. We'll see how this next week goes.

Probably no resolutions this year but lessons to keep in mind include that I should take the atavan or another drug to make me sleep even when don't have nausea to try and counteract the steroid mania. I do sometimes wonder if everyone is as controlled by chemistry as I seem to be. I also feel like I need to better at just letting go and not trying to figure out what days will be good days and just accept I should do stuff when I can and just crash when I need to.

I also wonder if the fact that I just did an interview with Pacifica radio was a good idea, given my zombie state. But apparently stimulus is coming together and hopefully states will figure out a way to get through the year. Here's Hoping things will be better all around in 2009.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely excused from making a resolution. Hope you're feeling better.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete