Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I remember when tubes were fun

Looking forward to a time when the next time I spend this much time going in and out of tubes they are more vertical and I end up splashing into water. It seems like I get to have doctors appointments or tests every day this week but Thursday woo hoo.

Tuesday I met with my plastic surgeon who basically took more topless pictures (naturally) said I was healing well and said I should make an appointment for a month post radiation and surgery will be 3-6 months after radiation depending on how I am healing. I'm not supposed to diet but can exercise but he thinks I have just the right amount of stomach fat for my diep surgery. I'm guessing if I lose too much weight putting it back on with my friends Ben & Jerry and proclivity to eat tortured geese will work just fine.

I was supposed to have a bone scan on Tuesday but they oops scheduled it for Wednesday. So in the end I waited until 9:30 to see if the next person wouldn't show up (do people really not show up for bone scans? we're not talking teeth cleaning or eye tests). I then went and got coffee and headed to plastic surgery. I then met with the nurse in charge of the study I am potentially participating in. On the upside I was at work by 11:30, earlier than expected. On the downside I was at G-town for 1 1/2 hours before my first actual appointment and then ahem was going to have 3 hours to kill between the 9am shot and the 12noon scan. (Apparently we need 3 hours to have the dye make its way to my bones).

I did take out my frustration a wee bit on California.

I then had my 8am ct scan appointment this morning, showed up at 7:30 and hung around until 8:45 when I asked if they should call up to nuclear medicine because we were running late. They sent me upstairs first and commented that they were surprised that they would schedule the (radioactive)injection for afterward given I need to wait 3 hours for the scan. So I got my shot at 9, went back down and had my ct scans which required finding a nurse to access my port, and then finding heparin to flush befor de-accessing (not sure that is the expression) the port. And suddenly it was almost 11am. I edited my California blog and posted, had lunch and then went and had my bone scan.

I was done by 12:30 and it all went smoothly besides the fact that I seem to have to needlessly get up 1 1/2 hours earlier to just sit around. But 3 hours of spare time can be used up in a snap when things are delayed.

Its also amazing how tiring going in and out of machines can be. Though these two insights might be related.

Anyway - will post results when I know them- ideally tomorrow or Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment