Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy July 3- almost independence day

Thought I'd report in again as recovery seems to be going well. Was let out of the hospital tuesday around 4 and had a pretty good day on Wednesday. The valium/percocet combination or the fact that my arm is less uncomfortable has meant I've been sleeping more this recovery than I did after the first surgery. I still wake up but I'm sleeping more like 3-5 hours at a time rather than an hour and then waking up. Wednesday was a fine day - woke up in the morning - took my antibiotic and then slept most of the morning. In the afternoon I was up and fairly functional. Len, my boss for at least the next month came over and I even put clothes on and went for a walk with him and MaryAnn around the block. It was a little sad - with Mary Ann being the only fully functional one of our merry crew. Len had neck surgery and was wearing a neck brace, I had my lovely drains but it was a reasonably nice day and I stayed awake and alert through dinner and then basically around 8:30 or 9:00 decided i needed to retreat back into the cave i call a bedroom.

Thursday was a little rougher. Slept well and longer but didn't take pain meds regularly (took the valium at midnight and then went about 12 hours). I woke up, ate breakfast and headed back to sleep - things got a little crazy as the plastic surgery office was trying to reach me to reschedule my 4pm appointment to before noon. Unfortunately they seemed to be calling the hospital number and left a message on my cell that i didn't get until after 10:30. Suddenly i was throwing clothes on barking orders at poor Mary Ann and in the car and at g-town by 11:20. I hadn't taken much pain meds and was definitely the worse for wear from the trip.

Dr. J was happy with how things are healing, took out one of the two drains and basically told me to take the pain meds on a regular schedule for a little while. She pointed out I had had pretty major surgery and they were giving me drugs for a reason. Between rushing and probably not eating enough I was slightly nauseated and out of it for much of the rest of the day. I rallied and had some food with Sue and MaryAnn at lunch and then ate some rice and a little bit of food for dinner with Mary Ann and Melissa. Last night actually involved more reading, and less sleeping but not in a bad way. I also ate some bread and pate in the middle of the night and feel like the nausea might be behind me.

I'm now trying to be better about taking my meds - if not popping the percocet every 4 hours and valium every 6 I'm closer to that level. I finished a book yesterday - light reading but none the less reading words seems like a step up from the random soduku/ken-ken I had been doing.

I'also want to thank you all for presents this round of surgery - so far I've gotten a t-shirt - 5 books, lots of chocolate :), 3 things of flowers, an edible arrangements fruit bouquet and a basket of cheese, chocolate, fruit and other goodies. Thank you all for the presents and I am pretty set with stuff. You all are great and have made this process way easier. The loot makes having the three surgeries almost worth it. (Okay - not really but chocolate never hurt.)

Dana also needs a shout out for a trip to Target this weekend - I love my new lights even if they are targeted at college students. Not sure how I spent $250 given I was buying $20 dollar lamps but I always kind of knew that target is one of those dangerous places for me - though most things bought will be used and were good purchases and it has to be a better addiction than going to boutiques. It was also great to see Rob and Ellen last weekend and Tracy, hanging out was fun. Andy and Sue get shout outs for Sunday visits and Sue you did a fabulous job assembling said $20 lights.

Special thanks also to Mary Ann who was great to have around, providing care but also having enough other things to keep her occupied when I would retreat and in being exceedingly patient with both me and the crazy which is my mother - god bless her. Mary Ann, I hope you have a great weekend back in Boston and get to start making actual progress on putting in the pool.

I also hope all you folks in NY and Boston manage to get some sunshine. DC weather looks pretty good after seeing how grey, rainy and dismal it is in the rest of the East Coast. Sure we get some violent rain but they don't seem to last long and are kind of fun to watch, especially if you are safely inside.

This weekend goals include going out for a walk a couple of times - but no billy goat trail (yes my doctors are funny and Dr. J did in fact say this) and might try and enjoy some mellow July 4 activities - bbq or watching fireworks from a random roof top rather than heading to the Mall with the masses.

That seems about it to report - things seem to be going well. My breast area is blotchy and bumpy but will be fixed over time. Next week there are more doctor appointments - twice a week with the plastic surgery folks until the drain is out and a meeting with Dr E my surgery to hear about the biopsy results and then I will check back in with oncology and at some point figure out when radiation will start the week after.

For now I am enjoying the many books, food and pills I get to enjoy - I suppose it is a good thing to know I need encouragement to take narcotics and don't seem to be in danger of needing a trip to a Betty Ford clinic (except perhaps for the chocolate addiction).

That's all for now - time for my morning nap. At some point I will need to try and figure out the fun facts about which states have or have not passed budgets and how we can fix the economy - these issues may or may not be better dealt with on drugs - if insight hits I'll suggest valium to Arnold and the other governors.

Have fun this weekend and try not to do anything stupid with fireworks.

2 comments:

  1. bloggus interruptus? You were very coherent for most of the posting though. Glad to hear the old kimmer is getting back... xoxo mm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you Kim. I hope you have a lovely weekend. GC

    ReplyDelete